Apply for International Admission

Step 1: Apply for Admission at Hawkeye

  1. Complete the International Student Application for Admission. Note: If your goal is to eventually complete a Bachelor’s Degree in the United States please list your major as Liberal Arts.

  2. Prepare application documents. Once all application documents are collected, submit together to Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

Step 2: Academic Requirements for International Students

International students from countries where English is not a native language, must submit TOEFL or an Alternative English option for acceptance.

International students from countries where English is the native language are not required to take TOEFL or IELTS tests, but need to provide proof of academic readiness by taking SAT, ACT, or the ACCUPLACER test.

You will be assessed in the area of Math upon arrival.

Note: Your TOEFL and ACCUPLACER assessment requirements may be waived if you have successfully completed an English Composition course (face-to-face), transfer level Math course, and a college level reading course (face-to-face) at an accredited United States Educational Institution. These requirements will be waived only after Hawkeye Community College has received and evaluated an official transcript from the issuing institution.

Your math SAT or ACT will be used for course placement. You can be assessed in the area of math upon arrival if you took TOEFL or IELTS. If you choose to take the Accuplacer test, please complete all three sections; Reading, Writing, and Math.

For testing results to be official, the testing company must send results directly to Hawkeye Community College Admissions. Please request these early.

Step 3: Send Financials

Submit two month's worth of bank statements from the last three months prior to your application date. All financial documents need to have an authenticity stamp from the financial institution. See mailing options. Also see cost of attendance.

Step 4: Send Transcripts

Send a copy of your official high school and college (if applicable) transcripts to Hawkeye Community College's Admissions office. See mailing options. Also see Foreign Diploma and Transcript Evaluation.

Step 5: Purchase Health Insurance

International students who attend Hawkeye Community College are required to purchase insurance as a condition of enrollment. Each international student will automatically be charged for this plan at the beginning of each semester (summer included if registered for the subsequent fall semester). It is recommended that you continue coverage through the summer even though you may not be enrolled during this time. If you wish to opt out of the coverage through the summer, the international student services coordinator needs to be informed in writing. Health Insurance Form [pdf].

Step 6: Your Admission Acceptance Notification

After we have received and reviewed your application materials, we will send you a written notification once the admission decision has been made.

Hawkeye Community College will consider admission to International student applicants under the age of 18 on a case by case basis.

Step 7: Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20)

Transferring from Another U.S. Institution?

If transferring from another U.S. institution, print a School Transfer Form [pdf].

Have your current institution’s International Student Advisor (or appropriate position) fill out the form and return it to the address listed on the form.

All financial obligations must be satisfied (your bill must be paid in full) at your current school prior to being issued an I-20 by Hawkeye Community College.

Coming from Home?

If you are coming from home; after you have been admitted and received the form I-20, pay the SEVIS fee PRIOR to your visa appointment.

After the payment is processed, you will receive a receipt which you need to print out since it may be requested at the port of entry in the United States. The receipt is available only immediately after the payment is complete, and you will not be able to reprint it again.

Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) Important Notes

Once you have been admitted you will be provided your Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). See Mailing Options.

To apply for an F-1 student visa you will need to take your Form 1-20 and any other required materials for your visa appointment to a United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The F-1 student visa is required for you to enter the United States as a student.

Check the website of the Embassy or Consulate office you will visit for specific requirements needed to apply for an F-1 student visa.

International students are required to attend the educational institution designated on the Form I-20 and are expected to complete at least one semester at that institution prior to requesting transfer to any other educational institution.

If you choose to attend another institution after Hawkeye Community College has issued a Form I-20 you will need to contact us immediately so that it may be corrected in SEVIS.

Student Handbook Next Page >

Important Deadlines

If you are applying from home, please start the process early. You will need to plan ahead for visa appointments and travel arrangements.

Spring 2020 Semester


Recommended Admission Application Materials deadline

Recommended deadline for students with initial I-20. If you would like to start classes August 26, complete an International Student Application for Admission by 4:30pm CST. Students with initial status are still in their home country and need to apply for a student F-1 visa. Late start acceptance and enrollment is not an option for international students.


Admission Application Materials deadline

If you are currently in the United States in an active F-1 status at SEVP accredited school and would like to start classes August 26, complete an International Student Application for Admission by 4:30pm CSTLate start acceptance and enrollment is not an option for international students.


Do You Need a Form I-20?

If you want a Form I-20 from Hawkeye, you must be fully admitted with all required paperwork received (applies only to transfer students currently in the United States).


Admission Decisions Will Be Sent to Students

Admission decision will be sent to students on a rolling basis. Accepted students will be able to register for a MORE orientation (dates to be determined). Check your Hawkeye email for more information.


Spring 2020 Semester Begins

See Registering for Classes.

International Student Services


Melissa Klein
Hawkeye Center 208
telephone (voice):
+1 319-296-2329, ext.1087
+1 319-296-1028
Email me

Mailing Address

Hawkeye Community College
International Student Admissions
1501 East Orange Road
P.O. Box 8015
Waterloo, IA 50704-8015

See Mailing Options

Back to top