Student Leadership Council
The Student Leadership Council represents and promotes the common interests and general welfare of the student body and also remains consistent with the mission of Hawkeye Community College.
The members of the Student Leadership Council pledge their commitment, leadership, and collaboration to embrace diversity within the college and community. The Student Leadership Council also assists in the planning of educational, cultural, recreational, and social activities throughout the school year.
- Fall Fest — Set up a table in the campus courtyard to promote Student Leadership Council and answer questions to those that stop by your table.
- Constitution Day — Set up a table in the Brock Student Center to promote better awareness and understanding of the U.S. Constitution.
- Children's Halloween Party — Help plan and host an event for families and children of Hawkeye's students, faculty, and staff with lots of Halloween fun including games, activities, crafts, snacks, goodie bags, and a costume contest.
- Ethnic Culture Fest — Help plan an event to celebrate diversity and international cultures featuring food, artifacts, entertainment, and more that represent a variety of countries around the world.
- Family Carnival — Help plan and host an event for families and children of Hawkeye's students, faculty, and staff with carnival-themed games, activities, crafts, snacks, prizes, and more.
- Involvement Fair — Set up a table in the Brock Student Center to promote the Student Leadership Council and answer questions from those that stop by your table.
- It’s on Us — Set up a table in the Brock Student Center to inform students about the campaign and to encourage them to take a stand against sexual assault by signing the pledge online.
- Food Drive — Help plan the Clubs/Orgs Food Drive and make collection boxes for competition. The Club/Org with the most food donations is awarded money in their club account.
- Holiday Hoopla — Help plan an event with holiday activities (making ornaments, etc.) for students to do and also help staff tables during the event.
- Make & Take — Two Make & Take events are to be set up each semester. This is intended to be a fun craft/project for students to make and take home with them, and may be tied into a monthly observance. For example, banks were made in January to promote National Financial Wellness Month. This is set up in the Brock Student Center.
There may be other events not listed in which volunteers or representation is needed.
Student Leadership Council Members Qualifications and Application
There are 25 seats available for eligible members.
Student Leadership Council Members must:
For more details on qualifications and procedures please refer to the Student Leadership Council Constitution [pdf] or the Student Leadership Council Handbook.
After one full semester, Council members are eligible to apply for the Executive Board. Student Leadership Council Executive Board application [pdf].
If you would like more information about the Student Leadership Council please fill out the interest survey below.