Tutoring Services—Getting Help with Your Course Work
We want to make sure that all Hawkeye students are successful in their courses. Getting the help you need can greatly improve your learning experience and performance in your classes.
Online and Face-to-Face Tutoring with Student Tutoring Center Professional Tutors
The Student Tutoring and Computer Lab (STC Lab) has professional tutors available for both face-to-face tutoring and online tutoring using Zoom. Our professional tutors can help you with your coursework in English, math, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and certain business courses. They can also help you learn Microsoft Office and work with you to improve your study skills.
To schedule an appointment with a professional tutor, call or visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab.
Walk in tutoring services are offered Monday–Thursday in the Library.
See the Fall 2020 Tutoring Schedule [pdf].
Online Tutoring with SMARTHINKING
For tutoring help 24 hours a day, check out SMARTHINKING, online tutoring: anywhere, anytime.
With SMARTHINKING you can:
- Connect with an e-structor® and interact with a live tutor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Submit your writing for any class to the Online Writing Lab.
- Get your questions answered in subjects such as math, bilingual math, biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology, economics, accounting, statistics, nursing courses, and writing.
Get Started with SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring
- Turn off all Popup Blockers activated on your device.
- Go to any of your Canvas classes and click on SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring.
- SMARTHINKING will run a system check to be sure your computer has all the technology requirements needed. If you do not go directly to the Main Menu, please follow the instructions provided so SMARTHINKING will work properly for you.
- NOTE: The first time you sign in a pop-up box appears offering you a PIN in case you want to install the SMARTHINKING App on your phone or other device. If you do not need this now you may close the box. It can be retrieved anytime.
- The SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring page will now be loaded.
If you have questions about SMARTHINKING please contact the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab.
Peer Tutoring is available for many courses to students who show need by meeting qualifications including having a C- or lower in the course or having tutoring listed in their accommodations.
To receive peer tutoring assistance complete the Request for Tutoring Assistance application [pdf] and bring it to the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab.
Contact the peer tutor coordinator for more information.
Business Tutoring Lab
This peer run lab is located in Bremer Hall 211 and is a drop-in tutoring lab.
Please call us or drop by the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to pick up a schedule.