Tutoring Services—Getting Help with Your Course Work
We want to make sure that all Hawkeye students are successful in their courses. Getting the help you need can greatly improve your learning experience and performance in your classes.
We offer FREE tutoring services through either peer or professional tutors in order to help you succeed in a variety of areas: computer skills, study skills, math, science, writing, and more!
Professional tutors are available to help current credit students succeed in their courses at Hawkeye. Walk-in tutoring is free and is available for the following subject areas:
- English, reading, and writing
- Biology and Anatomy & Physiology
- Study skills
We also offer professional tutoring at the Library. Tutors are available Monday–Thursday from 4:00–5:50pm for writing, math, and science.
View the tutoring schedule [pdf] or visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab or the Library to pick up a copy of the tutoring schedule.
Improve your study skills. Improve your grades.
Many academic problems you may encounter can be solved by working with our Study Skills tutors. As you strengthen your study skills and habits, you will find many subjects easier to master. Our study skills instructors can help in the following areas:
- Time management
- Reading a textbook
- Preparing for a test or quiz
- Effective note taking
- Effective listening
- Proof reading
View the tutoring schedule [pdf] or visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to pick up a copy of the tutoring schedule.
Computer Software Tutors
The Computer Lab Coordinators and student assistants at the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab are available to help you:
- Set-up and use My Hawkeye, your Hawkeye email, and our course management system, Canvas.
- Learn how to navigate the Internet.
- Learn the features of Microsoft Office software—Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Learn other miscellaneous computer concepts and answer your questions.
Online Tutoring with SMARTHINKING
For tutoring help 24 hours a day, check out SMARTHINKING, online tutoring: anywhere, anytime.
With SMARTHINKING you can:
- Connect with an e-structor® and interact with a live tutor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Submit your writing for any class to the Online Writing Lab.
- Get your questions answered in subjects such as math, bilingual math, biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology, economics, accounting, statistics, and writing.
To Get Started with SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring
- Go to any of your Canvas classes and click on Student Resources.
- Click on the Open in a New Tab button.
- Click on the Tutoring tab.
- Click on the blue Access Smarthinking here button.
- SMARTHINKING will run a system check to be sure your computer has all the technology requirements needed. If you do not go directly to the registration form, please follow the instructions provided so SMARTHINKING will work properly for you. There is also a Click here to continue button near the bottom.
- NOTE: The first time you sign in a pop-up box appears offering you a PIN in case you want to install the Smarthinking App on your phone or other device. If you do not need this now you may close the box. It can be retrieved anytime.
- The Smarthinking Online Tutoring page will now be loaded.
If you have questions about SMARTHINKING please contact the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab.
Peer tutors are Hawkeye students who can help you be successful in your courses. They have a good knowledgebase in specific content areas, courses, or discipline areas and can model good study skills.
If you are receiving a C- grade or below in any of your courses, we can help you. You can be matched with a peer tutor if there is not a professional tutor who can tutor in that subject area.
To Get a Peer Tutor
- Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to pick up an application.
- Take your completed application to your instructor for approval.
- Return your completed and signed application. We will evaluate your needs and match you with a peer tutor.
How Do I Become a Peer Tutor?
- Complete a content area course with a grade of an A or a B.
- Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to pick up a peer tutoring application.
- Have an instructor sign your peer tutoring application as a recommendation. This instructor must be in the course/discipline area you would like to tutor.
- Attend and successfully complete the peer tutor training sessions.
The Math Lab is staffed by math faculty to offer tutoring for specific coursework. If you enroll in a math class, watch your Hawkeye email and ask your instructors for hours.
TRIO Student Support Services and Tutoring
The TRIO program offers tutoring and intensive instructional support for eligible students. Learn more about TRIO.