Tutoring Services—Getting Help with Your Course Work
We want to make sure that all Hawkeye students are successful in their courses. Getting the help you need can greatly improve your learning experience and performance in your classes.
We offer FREE tutoring services through either peer or professional tutors in order to help you succeed in a variety of areas: computer skills, study skills, math, science, writing, and more!
Improve your study skills. Improve your grades.
Many academic problems you may encounter can be solved by working with our Study Skills tutors. As you strengthen your study skills and habits, you will find many subjects easier to master. Our study skills instructors can help in the following areas:
- Time management
- Reading a textbook
- Preparing for a test or quiz
- Effective note taking
- Effective listening
- Proof reading
Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to schedule an appointment to meet one-on-one with a professional study skills tutor.
Computer Software Tutors
The Computer Lab Coordinators and student assistants at the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab are available to help you:
- Set-up and use My Hawkeye, your Hawkeye email, and our course management system, Canvas.
- Learn how to navigate the Internet.
- Learn the features of Microsoft Office software—Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Learn other miscellaneous computer concepts and answer your questions.
Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab for help at any time or you can schedule an appointment to meet one-on-one with a professional computer software tutor.
Online Tutoring with SMARTHINKING
For tutoring help 24 hours a day, check out SMARTHINKING, online tutoring: anywhere, anytime.
With SMARTHINKING you can:
- Connect with an e-structor® and interact with a live tutor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Submit your writing for any class to the Online Writing Lab.
- Get your questions answered in subjects such as math, bilingual math, biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology, economics, accounting, statistics, and writing.
To Get Started with SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring
- Contact the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab for the SMARTHINKING username and password.
- Go to services.smarthinking.com and enter the username and password.
- SMARTHINKING will run a system check to be sure your computer has all the technology requirements needed. If you do not go directly to the registration form, please follow the instructions provided so SMARTHINKING will work properly for you.
- You can use your new personal login anytime you go back to SMARTHINKING.
Peer tutors are Hawkeye students who can help you be successful in your courses. They have a good knowledgebase in specific content areas, courses, or discipline areas and can model good study skills.
If you are receiving a C- grade or below in any of your courses, we can help you. You can be matched with a peer tutor if there is not a professional tutor who can tutor in that subject area.
To Get a Peer Tutor
- Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to pick up an application.
- Take your completed application to your instructor for approval.
- Return your completed and signed application. We will evaluate your needs and match you with a peer tutor.
How Do I Become a Peer Tutor?
- Complete a content area course with a grade of an A or a B.
- Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to pick up a peer tutoring application.
- Have an instructor sign your peer tutoring application as a recommendation. This instructor must be in the course/discipline area you would like to tutor.
- Attend and successfully complete the peer tutor training sessions.
Professional tutors are available to help current credit students succeed in their courses at Hawkeye. You do not need to be failing your classes to qualify, you do not need an appointment, and this service is FREE!
You will receive one-on-one attention in:
- English, reading, and writing
- Study skills
- Computer software
Visit the Student Tutoring and Computer Lab to schedule an appointment to meet one-on-one with a professional tutor.
The Math Lab is staffed by math faculty to offer tutoring for specific coursework. If you enroll in a math class, watch your Hawkeye email and ask your instructors for hours.
TRiO Student Support Services and Tutoring
The TRiO program offers tutoring and intensive instructional support for eligible students. Learn more about TRiO.