COVID-19 Campus Updates and Resources: Wearing a face mask and practicing physical distancing are required. Visit our Stay Healthy, Stay Safe. Navigating COVID-19 Together website for more information.

Attention MET Transit riders: MET Transit has made some adjustments to Route 10 Hawkeye due to COVID-19. In order to get a ride to or from Hawkeye Community College you will need to contact Dispatch. See full announcement.

Exit Loan Counseling

Per Federal regulations, borrowers of Federal Student Loans must complete Federal Exit Loan Counseling during their final semester of enrollment, even if the student is not borrowing Federal Student Loans in that semester. Exit Loan Counseling is also mandatory even if the student plans to continue their education at Hawkeye or at another college or university.

If you have borrowed a Federal Direct Loan while attending Hawkeye, you will need to complete an Exit Loan Counseling session:

  • For each certificate or diploma you earn.
  • Before you graduate.
  • If you withdraw from Hawkeye.
  • If you are enrolled in less than six credit hours.

Please allow 3–4 business days for processing.

You will not be able to receive an official copy of your Hawkeye transcript or your diploma until you complete the Exit Loan Counseling.

Graduating Students

Graduating students must complete Loan Exit Counseling online at You will need your FSA ID to login.

Non-Graduating Students

Check your My Hawkeye notifications for instructions on how to complete your Exit Loan Counseling requirement.

Non-graduating students can complete the Exit Loan Counseling online at You will need your FSA ID to login.

Financial Aid

Hawkeye Center 118
800-670-4769 ext.4020
319-209-9239 (text only)
319-296-4495 (fax)
Email us

Regular Hours

Mon–Fri 8:00am–4:30pm

Schedule an appointment

Back to top