In order to be considered for the Medical Laboratory Technology program, students must provide the Admissions office with official documents showing completion of all requirements. These documents must show:
- Updated assessment scores. -AND/OR-
- A transcript or academic evaluation showing successful completion of course requirements (i.e. developmental coursework).
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- Monitor their progress towards meeting admissions requirements,
- Notify the Admissions office when requirements have been met, and
- Provide the Admissions office evidence of meeting the requirements.
Apply at Hawkeye
Apply for admission at Hawkeye.
Send official transcripts to Admissions.
Required Biology Course and Demonstrate College Readiness
In order to be eligible for the Medical Laboratory Technology program, all students must:
- Meet minimum score requirements and/or successfully complete the required college success courses in English, reading, and math with a C- grade or higher at Hawkeye Community College or comparable courses at another accredited college. For appropriate college success course placement, work with your program advisor.
- Successfully complete, with a C- grade or higher, a minimum of one year of high school biology or any college-level general education biological sciences course.
While Hawkeye Community College is accepting Pass/Fail grades as an institution, due to accreditation, Hawkeye is not accepting College or High School Pass/Fail grades for any admission criteria.
While working to meet these requirements, students will be accepted into the Medical Laboratory Technology pre-program. Pre-program students are able to complete the necessary success courses at the same time they are working on the required general education coursework, assuming all individual course prerequisites are satisfied. See the Medical Laboratory Technology Suggested Sequence of Study for the general education and program specific courses.
Minimum score requirements
||ACCUPLACER Next Generation
||85 Elementary Algebra
||259 Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics
||82 Sentence Skills
Applicants can take the ACT assessment or the ACCUPLACER assessment at Hawkeye. Pre-registration is required.
Success courses can be taken at Hawkeye Community College or comparable courses at another accredited college. For appropriate college success course placement, work with a program advisor.
Success course credits do not apply towards graduation requirements.
Applicants who have completed all admissions requirements in steps 1 and 2 will be offered acceptance based on the date their applicant file was completed. If many students share the same date for completing their applicant file, the second criteria used will be the GPA from the prerequisite courses.