In order to be considered for the Dental Hygiene program, students must provide the Admissions office with the appropriate documentation showing completion of all requirements. Appropriate documentation consists of:
- Updated assessment scores. -AND/OR-
- A transcript or academic evaluation showing successful completion of course requirements (i.e. developmental coursework).
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- Monitor their progress towards meeting admissions requirements,
- Notify the Admissions office when requirements have been met, and
- Provide the Admissions office evidence of meeting the requirements.
Apply at Hawkeye
Complete Hawkeye's online admissions application to apply and be considered for the Dental Hygiene program.
Request to have your transcripts sent to the Admissions office.
Required Assessment / Success Courses
Students must meet the minimum assessment score or have completed the required success course in each math, English, and reading.
|Success Course *
||85 Elementary Algebra
||MAT-063 Elementary Algebra
||82 Sentence Skills -OR-
||ENG-061 College Preparatory Writing II
||RDG-040 College Preparatory Reading III
Applicants can take the ACT assessment or the ACCUPLACER assessment at Hawkeye. Pre-registration is required.
* Success course credits do not apply towards graduation requirements.
Prerequisite coursework may be completed at Hawkeye Community College or at any accredited transfer institution. See the suggested sequence of study for a list of prerequisite courses.
Once all prerequisite coursework is completed, contact the Admissions office immediately.
Dental Hygiene Program Acceptance
Applicants who meet all admission requirements in steps 1–3 will be accepted into the next available seat to the program.
If the number of eligible students exceeds the number of available seats, students will be accepted in the following order, otherwise will be accepted into the next fall semester:
- Completion date of all required prerequisite coursework.
- Eligibility date — Determined by either :
- The date the student registered for their final prerequisite course at Hawkeye OR
- The date the Admissions office received transcripts showing completion of prerequisite courses at another accredited institution.
- Grade Point Average — Determined by grades in prerequisite courses.
Prior to the first day of classes, accepted students must:
- Have a physical exam with immunization record on Hawkeye Community College form.
- Attend a Mandatory Compliance Training session. Students will be notified of the Mandatory Compliance Training at their orientation and registration session.
Changes are taking place within healthcare facilities nationally. These changes directly affect all health programs at Hawkeye Community College. The Joint Commission of Accreditation of Healthcare Organization (JCAHO), which accredits healthcare facilities across the country, enforced background screening September 2004 and has set requirements mandating that students in a healthcare field must now complete the same background check as hospital employees. As a Health student of Hawkeye Community College you will be required to complete a criminal background check, sex offender, child abuse and dependent adult registry. The outcome could possibly affect your opportunities to participate in the clinical setting.
Equal Opportunity Statement