Earn College Credit While in High School

Every year, nearly two thousand high school students earn college credits in over a hundred courses through Hawkeye Community College. You may be eligible to join them! Starting college in high school is a great way to:

  • Explore your career interests.
  • Experience college-level courses.
  • Earn credits toward your degree.
  • Save time and money.

Hawkeye Community College offers Concurrent Enrollment, Career Academies, Project Lead the Way, and Dual Enrollment for current high school students to earn college credits.

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent enrollment courses can be taken at your school, at a Hawkeye location, or online. Tuition is paid by your school district.

Career Academies

Career Academies are career-focused courses available at your school or at a Hawkeye. Tuition is paid by your school district.

Project Lead the Way

Take science, engineering, and technology classes through Project Lead the Way. Classes are available at your school or a Hawkeye location. Tuition is paid by your school district.

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment courses are available at a Hawkeye location or online. Tuition and fees are paid by the student.

Next Steps

Ready to learn more? Visit your school counselor to discuss courses that fit your needs and goals.

Registering for Classes

When it’s time to sign up for classes, you’ll register at a concurrent enrollment and orientation and registration session at your high school or with a High School Relations team member, depending on your choices.

Registration deadlines:

  • May 30 for fall semester courses (includes Trimester 1 and 2 and Quarters 1 and 2).
  • November 30 for spring semester courses (includes Trimester 3 and Quarters 3 and 4).

Academic Standards and Your Future Financial Aid Eligibility

When you enroll in Hawkeye classes, you are subject to the same academic standards as all students at the college even though you are still in high school.

Your grades could affect your future financial aid eligibility especially if you fail, stop attending class, or withdraw after the deadline.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is required for all students to maintain eligibility for a wide range of financial aid options including Pell Grants, Work Study, Iowa National Guard, and many more.

If you are concerned about your future financial aid eligibility, contact your High School Relations representative and we'll help you understand Hawkeye's policies and your current status.

Student Handbook Next Page >

Contact Information

High School Relations

Hawkeye Center 124
Email High School Relations

Back to top