Concurrent Enrollment

Earn high school and college credit at the same time!

Concurrent courses may be offered at your school, at a Hawkeye location, or online. The courses are taught by either Hawkeye faculty or qualified high school instructors.

To explore your options, visit with your school counselor first. Together, you’ll review the courses your school has approved and determine which fit your needs and goals.


Concurrent courses are open to 9th-12th grade students, including those who receive private instruction (such as home-schooled students).

Students must meet the academic requirements of both the school district and Hawkeye to take concurrent courses.

  • For general education and transferable classes, your counselor will determine your eligibility based on Iowa Assessment scores. You may also have to meet specific score requirements on the ACCUPLACER or ACT to take certain general education courses, such as writing and math.
  • For career and technical education (CTE) classes, students do not need to meet Iowa Assessment proficiency requirements. However, some career and technical education classes have ACCUPLACER or ACT score requirements. Your counselor and the High School Relations team will help you determine if assessment scores are needed.


Your school district pays the cost of tuition for district-approved courses. Check with your counselor to learn your school’s policies on textbooks and other required materials.

Please note, you may be responsible for costs such as transportation to and from class, field trips, and other non-tuition costs.


You may take up to 23 credits from Hawkeye Community College per academic year (fall and spring semesters).

All students must submit either ACCUPLACER or ACT scores after earning more than 11 credit hours.

After you have successfully completed a course, the grade and credits will be added to your high school and college transcripts. Your school will determine the amount of high school credit awarded.

Requesting Transcripts

To send your Hawkeye transcript to another educational institution, submit a transcript request.


  1. Meet with your high school counselor to learn your district’s approved courses and find out which courses are best for you.
  2. Take the ACCUPLACER or ACT assessment if necessary or recommended.
  3. Attend a concurrent enrollment orientation and registration session at your school.

Contact Information

High School Relations

Hawkeye Center 124
Email High School Relations

Back to top