ETC: Art and Literary Magazine
Our mission in this magazine is to inspire and create a stronger community through art and literature. By publishing creative visual and literary student works that touch upon the themes presented in The Martian the magazine will connect to the College’s Institutional Outcome of Quantitative Reasoning that includes problem-solving, logical thinking, and application of the mathematical processes.
ETC 2020 Magazine [pdf]
ETC: Magazine is inspired by the numerous prevailing themes of the 2020–2021 Hawkeye Reads book selection The Martian by Andy Weir. Below are themes touched upon in the book.
Science and Survival
- Space exploration
- Rational thinking
- Problem-solving, creativity
- Climate science
- Limits of technology
- Value of Liberal Arts and broad knowledge base
Spirit of Survival
- Isolation and the need for human connection
- Humor as a coping mechanism
- Resilience and perseverance
- Death and dying
The Individual and Community
- Manage complex organizations (NASA), provide experts
- Slow to respond or change, impersonal
- The Media:
- Demanding and distracting
- Informative and helpful
- Collective intellect vs. divided society
Enter Your Work for Consideration for the 2021 ETC Hawkeye Magazine
This year in the spirit of community and inclusivity we are trying to branch out and offer more media forms, photography, video, audio, painting, drawing, and literature.
Any creative piece you want to submit we’ll consider it for ETC!