Z Semi-Truck Driving Instructor
Vacancy Notice: 04/04/2019
Application Deadline: 4/12/2019 By 4:00pm CST
Position Type: Faculty
- Manager, Regional Transportation and Training Center
This position delivers in-cab and on-range instruction to students using full size tractor-trailer including skills monitoring and road monitoring to students in transportation programs or contracted training classes. Must have the ability to teach hands-on training using full-size semis. Part-time teaching assignment may be at various sites and in various formats and be held on days, evenings, and weekends. Individuals will plan and guide the learning processes for students toward the achievement of curricular goals and objectives as identified and documented in course outline materials. Other responsibilities include employing instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting objectives; assessing the accomplishments of students on a regular basis according to department policies and procedures; and providing progress reports (evaluations and grades/certificates) as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teaches students to develop skills in shifting, clutching, cornering, backing, driving, coupling, inspecting and all other necessary competencies in becoming an entry level truck driver.
- Performs and trains students to do minor repairs to tractor-trailers.
- Instructs students on location and purpose of various components in diesel trucks and semi-trailers.
- Ensures that Hawkeye Community College and other vendor equipment (e.g. trucks, trailers), facilities, and tools are kept clean and in good condition.
- Instruct other transportation courses offered at the Regional Transportation Training Center.
- Travels to other sites and provides instruction.
- Adheres to DOT, Hawkeye Community College, and departmental safety regulations and rules.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years on the road or local driving experience.
- Good driving record.
- Hold current class A CDL license.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to positively interact with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, maintain customer confidence and protect operational integrity.
- Ability to work with and provide customer service for diverse populations (faculty, staff, students, and general public).
Part-time position with wages expected to be $20.00 per hour. Anticipated hours will be flexible up to 27 hours per week afternoon, evening, and occasional weekends.
Background checks and driving records are considered in all hiring decisions.
Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you are in need of any special accommodation in completing the application process, please email Human Resource Services.
Application materials are required and must be received in the Human Resource Services office by the application deadline in order to be considered for the position.