Courses I Teach
- B.A. in Music with vocal emphasis from University of Northern Iowa, 2001
- M.A. in Music with piano pedagogy emphasis from University of Northern Iowa, 2003
Professional Development Seminars
- Yamaha Technology Seminar: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003
- Keyboard Ensemble Technology Seminar: 2004, 2005
- Group Piano Empowerment Seminar: 2007
I have been an adjunct instructor in music at Hawkeye since Fall 2008 and have also been an independent teacher of voice and piano for over 30 years as owner/instructor of Lear Music Studio and Cedar Valley Music Academy. I am a Certified Teacher with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, Canada and am also a member of the Royal Conservatory’s College of Examiners. I serve as an adjudicator/examiner for the Music Development Program and Royal Conservatory assessments in piano and voice throughout Canada and the U.S. I hold the Permanent Professional Certificate in piano and voice from the Music Teachers National Association and the Master Teacher Adjudicator certificate with the Iowa Music Teachers Association.
My activities have included musical director/composer and accompanist backstage for theatre productions such as “Godspell” with Lampost Theater, “The Hobbit” with Black Hawk Children’s Theater and onstage as Jenny Lind in “Barnum”, Marian in “The Music Man” and most recently as Cinderella’s mother in Stephen Sondheim’s “Into the Woods” with the Waterloo Community Playhouse. I have been soprano soloist with the University of Northern Iowa, Metropolitan Chorale, First Presbyterian Church and Bel Canto Cedar Valley.
My husband Roger and I have three children, six grandchildren and love sharing music as a family.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Northeast Area Music Teachers Association (NAMTA): 1984–present
- Iowa Music Teachers Association (IMTA): 1984–present
- Music Teachers National Association (MTNA): 1984–present
- Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity (SAI): 2001–current
- Pi Kappa Lambda Music Honor Fraternity: 2003–present
- Iowa Federation of Music Clubs (IFMC): 1981–present
- National Federation of Music Clubs (NFMC): 1981–present
- Waterloo B Natural Music Club: 1981–present
- Bel Canto Cedar Valley: 2011–present
- Friends of Waterloo/Cedar Falls Symphony Orchestra: 1989–present
My professional associations include state and divisional offices in Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) where I served for six years on the National Certification Commission and the Iowa Federation of Music Clubs as state president, national board representative and currently state treasurer. Locally, I am a member of an auditioned chorus, Bel Canto Cedar Valley and the current treasurer of the Waterloo B Natural Music Club and board member of Cedar Valley Chamber Music.