Reserve Officer Firearms Certification
Reserve Officer Firearms Certification, an intense four day, 40-hour course, meets the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy's requirements for a reserve peace officer to carry a handgun and shotgun, administrative rule 501-10.1(80D). The course will run into the evenings of the first two days to fulfill the nighttime qualification requirements.
Students are required to bring the following serviceable items:
- Handgun you use while working. It should be clean and functioning
- Duty leather gear with belt keepers or Velcro fastener
- Protective vest
- Three high capacity magazines
- 12-guage duty shotgun
Ammunition will be provided at an additional fee within the course registration.
- Have a strong knowledge of how their weapon functions.
- Have at least a minimal amount of shooting experience.
- Sign a waiver indicating that they are physically fit to participate in strenuous activities.
- Sign a waiver of liability.
For more information or course schedules, contact the department administrative assistant or law enforcement coordinator.