Physical Therapist Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program
This course addresses planning and implementing clinical education experiences for physical
therapy and other health care field students. The program is divided into two parts:
- Clinical instructor education for all participants.
- Credentialing for PT/PTAs in the course through Assessment Centers.
The Clinical Instructor Program addresses issues of:
- Planning and preparing for students during their clinical education experiences.
- Developing learning experiences in practice tailored to meet specific student needs.
- Supporting ongoing learning through questions and effective feedback.
- Identifying and managing students with difficult and/or exceptional situations.
- Identifying legal, legislative, and regulatory implications for clinical educators, including issues presented by ADA, HIPAA, and Medicare.
Date: Friday, April 26 and Saturday, April 27 from 8:00am–5:00pm. Check-in begins at 7:30am on April 26.
Location: Hawkeye Community College – Buchanan Hall, Room 121
APTA manual and learning materials are included in workshop cost.
|APTA Member (PT/PTA) ||$90 |
|APTA Non-member (PT/PTA) ||$180 |
|Other Healthcare Professional ||$230 |
Cancellations after April 4, 2019 will be subject to a $50 administrative fee.
Continuing Education Credit
The workshop is offered for 16 contact hours, which may be applied toward re-licensure requirements for physical therapists/physical therapist assistants. Other healthcare professionals receive 12 contact hours. A certificate of attendance will be provided to each participant.
Note: All participants must attend each session in its entirety and complete the Assessment Centers to be eligible for American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Clinical Instructor credentialing.
Kelly Sass, PT, PhD is a clinical assistant professor and academic coordinator for clinical education in the University of Iowa Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science. Kelly served as a clinical instructor at St. Luke’s Hospital in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, prior to joining the University of Iowa faculty in 1997. Kelly has been practicing physical therapy since 1993 and received her PhD in Educational Psychology in 2016. She is a Credentialed Trainer for the APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program (CCIP).
Cindy Utley, PT, DPT, CEEAA is the director of clinical education in the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Des Moines University. She has been in this position since 2014 and also served as assistant director of clinical education.. She is a member of the Iowa Clinical Education Consortium. Cindy served as a clinical instructor at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines, Iowa, prior to joining the faculty at Des Moines University. Cindy has been practicing physical therapy since 1991.