Job shadows are an engaging experience for students to gain information about a particular career and interact with a professional in that field.
- Students will create accounts in the Cedar Valley Career Connections system and apply for a job shadow experience. Cedar Valley Career Connections will not place any job shadows during the months of December and May.
- Students will receive a checklist of helpful information for their job shadows including site info, dress codes, logistic information, and tips for interacting with professionals at their shadow.
- Students will be expected to follow-up and confirm their job shadow with the business partner one week before their job shadow. A sample confirmation message will be provided to the student to help them with their call.
- If the student is unable to attend their scheduled job shadow for any reason, it is the student’s responsibility to contact both the business site and their Cedar Valley Career Connections work-based learning coordinator. If the student does not contact the site and their coordinator, they may or may not be able to participate in future Cedar Valley Career Connections job shadows.
- Upon completion of the shadow, students will be expected to send a thank you note to the business and complete an evaluation of their experience.
Cedar Valley Career Connections Role
- Cedar Valley Career Connections will come to the school to meet with classes and/or individual students about the job shadow application and process.
- Students will be placed in job shadows by their Cedar Valley Career Connections work-based learning coordinator.
- Confirmation/permission messages will be sent to both parents and the coordinating teacher/counselor before final placement for job shadows.
- If your school is cancelled due to inclement weather, the student’s job shadow will be cancelled. The student should still follow-up with their site to let them know. The work-based learning coordinator will assist the student in rescheduling their job shadow.
- Both the student and the business contact will receive an evaluation of the experience.
- Fill out school release form for student from Cedar Valley Career Connections.
- If this is for a class/credit, you can require any additional components for the job shadow beyond the thank you note and survey.
- Results of the student and business surveys can be provided to you if you wish.