posted on Tuesday, July 2, 2019 in
Prepare for Mosquitoes and Ticks
Summer brings with it many great things such as warm weather, cool drinks, fresh air, vacations, time with friends and family, and much more! But, unfortunately, it also brings with it some nuisance such as certain bugs and insects. There are many bugs/insects that can cause havoc for humans two of those being mosquitoes and ticks. Luckily, there are things we can do to prevent these bugs/insects from ruining our summer!
1. Cover Up: Wear clothing that covers to minimize areas of exposed skin. Long-sleeved shirts, long pants, boots, and hats can increase protection. Tuck shirts into pants and tuck pants into socks. Wear closed shoes instead of sandals. Repellants can be sprayed on clothing for added protection.
2. Avoid Peak Times: Avoid peak times when mosquitoes are most active and biting. Mosquitoes can bite at any time but are most active during dawn and dusk (twilight periods) and also in the evening after dark.
3. Places to Avoid: Mosquitoes and ticks both like grasses, woodlands, and other vegetated areas. Mosquitoes also like sitting water.
4. Bed Nets: When accommodations are not adequately screened from summer bugs/insects-bed nets can provide protection.
5. Check Your Skin: Inspect your clothing and skin for ticks during and after outdoor activity. Prompt removal can prevent some infections.
6. Repel: The use of repellant products on skin and clothing can increase protection. Also, spatial repellants are available and can help clear areas of mosquitoes.
Hawkeye Student Health Clinic
- Parent Newsletter