University of Iowa Tippie College of Business
Students seeking the following majors must be admitted to the Tippie College of Business:
- Must be of junior standing, 60 semester hours.
- Must have a minimum 2.75 prerequisite GPA with no grade below C.
- Must have a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
Additional Admission Requirements for Accounting Majors
- Pass the Accounting Writing Assessment test.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA at the University of Iowa.
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Have a minimum 2.67 GPA in Financial and Managerial Accounting.
Application deadlines are March 1 for fall semester and October 1 for spring semester.
Students transferring to the University of Iowa should consult closely with their Hawkeye advisor as well as the University of Iowa transfer advisor to ensure that they are completing all of the necessary course requirements.
These requirements are subject to change without notice. Please check with the University of Iowa for verification of courses.
It is recommended that students intending to transfer to the Tippie College of Business complete all of the prerequisite courses prior to transfer. Doing this will allow you to enter the College immediately upon transferring to the University of Iowa and will increase the likelihood of timely graduation.
Students who have not met all pre-requisites prior to transfer will begin in the College of Liberal Arts as pre-business majors.
Core Business Courses
The following core Business courses are not required for admission, but are recommended before transferring.
The following core Business courses are not required for admission, but can be completed at Hawkeye.
Foreign Language Requirements
Students who receive an Associate of Arts degree from Hawkeye are considered to have met all general education requirements with the exception of World Language. All students entering the Tippie College of Business must complete the fourth level of a single foreign language (4 years of high school foreign language or four semesters in college) or two levels (2 years in high school or 2 semesters in college) of two different foreign languages. High school work can be used to satisfy part, or all of the foreign language requirement.
Courses at Hawkeye that can be used to fulfill this requirement:
General Education Requirements if Not Completing the Associate of Arts Degree
- ENG-105 Composition I AND
ENG-106 Composition II
- SPC-101 Fundamentals of Oral Communication OR
SPC-112 Public Speaking
Interpretation of Literature: 3 credits
- LIT 101 Intro to Literature
Natural Science (no lab required): 3 credits
- BIO-154 Human Biology
- BIO-151 Nutrition
- CNS-121 Environmental Conservation
- ENV-115 Environmental Science
Social Science (not micro or macro): 3 credits
- POL-111 American National Government
- PSY-111 Intro to Psychology
- PSY-121 Developmental Psychology
- PSY-241 Abnormal Psychology
- PSY-251 Social Psychology
- PSY-262 Psychology of Gender
- SOC-110 Intro to Sociology
- SOC-115 Social Problems
Historical Perspectives: 3 credits
- ART-203 Art History I
- ART-204 Art History II
- HIS-117 Western Civ I
- HIS-118 Western Civ II
- HIS-151 US History to 1877
- HIS-152 US History since 1877
Values Society and Diversities: 3 credits
- CLS-130 African Cultures
- CLS-150 Latin American History and Culture
- CLS-164 Japanese History and Culture
- CKS-172 Russian Civilization
- COM-140 Intro to Mass Media and Society
- COM-148 Diversity and the Media
- LIT-133 Minority Voices in US Literature
- PEH-111 Personal Wellness
- PHI-101 Intro to Philosophy
- PHI-105 Intro to Ethics
- SOC-120 Marriage and Family
- SOC-200 Minority Group Relations
- SOC-208 Intro to Cultural Anthropology
- WST-101 Women’s Studies
International and Global Studies: 3 credits
- CLS-141 Middle Eastern History and Culture
- GEO-121 World Regional Geography
- HIS-119 Western Civ III
- POL-121 International Relations
- POL-125 Comparative Government and Politics