University of Iowa BSN 2+2 Program
Transfer Tip Sheet [pdf]
Students seeking admission to the pre-licensure undergraduate BSN program must be admitted to the College of Nursing. Students pursuing this degree must first complete the minimum high school requirements and the nursing pre-requisites.
Because courses continually change, students should access The University of Iowa Transfer Equivalency Database for current course transfer equivalencies.
Students transferring to Iowa should consult closely with their Hawkeye advisor as well as an Iowa transfer advisor to ensure that they are completing all of the necessary course requirements.
- Literary, Visual and Performing Arts* 3 Credit Hours
- Values, Society and Diversity** 3 CH
- International and Global Issues*** 3 CH
- Electives 10 CH
Prerequisites and Additional Requirements
NURS:3110 (096:110) Healthcare Finance is a pre-requisite course. This course will be offered in an online format for transfer students to meet the requirement.
There is a high school Physics requirement. Students who have not completed one year of Physics in high school must complete levels S-1 & S-2 of Kirkwood Community College’s online high school equivalency physics course.
The world language requirement can be met one of two ways:
- Option One: The fourth-level proficiency in a single world language. To meet the fourth-level of proficiency in the same language, students are required to take four years in high school or four semesters in college.
- Option Two: The second-level proficiency in two different world languages. To meet the second-level proficiency, students are required to take two years each of two different languages in high school or two semesters each of two different languages in college.
Admission to the College of Nursing
Admission to the College of Nursing is extremely competitive. Criteria are set for time of application and time of matriculation into the nursing major. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the College.
Students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA to be considered for admission.
The admissions committee selects the best-qualified applicants from all candidates.
A maximum of 64 students are admitted in the fall and spring semesters. The holistic admission process is utilized for selection.
Selection is not based solely of GPA. Applicants are required to submit an essay.
Experience working within the health care field is a definite plus for an applicant, when the selection committee reviews applications.
Required at Time of Application
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of completed course work.
- Must have a 2.00 GPA or higher on all prerequisites.
- Must have a minimum of 48 SH completed by June 1.
- Applicants can have no more than two natural science incomplete by June 1. All natural sciences must be complete within 10 years of enrollment in a Nursing major.
- Applicants can have no more than two Social Sciences incomplete by June 1.
- Applicants for whom English is not the first language are also required to present a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the paper based test or 81 on the internet based test.
Required at Time of Matriculation/Enrollment in the Nursing Major
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- A minimum of 64 SH of completed course work
- All natural science pre-requisites must be completed within ten years
Additional Admissions Requirements
- All social science pre-requisites must be completed
- All General Education Requirements must be completed:
- 3 SH of Literary, Visual and Performing Arts
- 3 SH of International and Global Issues
- 3 SH of Values Society & Diversity
- All high school requirements must be completed
- World Language requirement must be completed.
These requirements are subject to change without notice. Please check with Iowa for verification of courses.