Iowa State University College of Human Sciences
Students seeking degrees from the College of Human Sciences at ISU may select from the following majors:
- Family & Consumer Sciences Ed., B.S.
- Family & Consumer Sciences Ed., B.S. (non-licensure)
- Food Science, B.S.
- Apparel Merchandising, Design B.S.
- Athletic Training
- Child, Adult, & Family Services, B.S.
- Culinary Food Science, B.S.
- Diet & Exercise, B.S./M.S.
- Dietetics, B.S.
- Early Childhood Education, B.S.
- Elementary Education, B.S.
- Event Management, B.S.
- Financial Counseling & Planning, B.S.
- Hospitality Management, B.S.
- Kinesiology & Health, B.S. (Teaching/Pre-Health)
- Nutritional Science, B.S.
Pre-medical, Pre-law, & Pre-professional health can be completed with any major.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.00 on all college-level courses. However, some majors may require a GPA higher than 2.00.
- Must complete 24 transferable credits prior to enrolling OR meet all admission requirements of incoming freshmen.
The following courses are University requirements that must be met. Completion of the AA degree does not exempt students from these requirements.
II. U.S. Diversity and International Perspectives Requirements (3 cr. in each area)
Courses can be dual-assigned in General Education areas.
Hawkeye Courses—U.S. Diversity (3 cr.)
- ART-101 Art Appreciation
- COM-148 Diversity & the Media
- LIT-133 Minority Voices in U.S. Lit.
- LIT-189 Women and Literature
- PSY-261 / SOC-261 Human Sexuality
- PSY-262 Psychology of Gender
- SOC-205 Diversity in America
- SOC-200 Minority Group Relations
- SOC-220 Sociology of Aging
- SOC-235 Social Problems
- WST-101 Women’s Studies
Hawkeye Courses—Int'l Persp. (3 cr.)
- ANT-105 Cultural Anthropology
- CLS-130 African Cultures<
- CLS-141 Middle Eastern Hist. & Culture
- CLS-160 East Asian Cultures
- CLS-164 Japanese Cultures
- CLS-172 Russian Culture
- FLF-245 French II
- FLS-152 Elementary Spanish II
- HIS-214 Russian History & Culture
- HUM-130 Holocaust Perspectives
- LIT-142 Major British Writers
- MUS-100 Music Appreciation
- POL-121 International Relations
- SOC-208 Intro to Cultural Anthropology
- SPC-120 Intercultural Communications
- POL-125 Comparative Gov. & Politics
- REL-101 Survey of World Religions
Students should refer to the approved humanities and social sciences lists for the ISU department in which their chosen major is administered in choosing courses to meet these university requirements, as these courses can be dual-assigned in the general education requirements for their major.
Major Specific Courses and Requirements
This tip sheet is meant for students completing the AA prior to transferring to Iowa State. For students planning on transferring prior to completing the AA, please refer to the appropriate tip sheet and work closely with your advisors at both Hawkeye and ISU in selecting courses.
Consult closely with a Hawkeye advisor and ISU to ensure that you are completing the necessary course requirements for transfer.
These requirements are subject to change without notice.
* Both courses in the series must be taken at Hawkeye to transfer as the listed courses.
** Other course choices exist at ISU that meet this requirement.
! Meets major requirement for STAT 101; will need additional 1 cr. of electives.
(IP) Meets ISU International Perspective requirement.
+ Required for some options within this major.