Iowa State University College of Design
Students seeking a degree from the College of Design at ISU may select from the following majors:
- Architecture, B.Arch.
- Art and Design, B.A.
- Community & Regional Planning, B.S.CRP
- Design, B.Des.
- Graphic Design, B.F.A.
- Interdisciplinary Design
- Industrial Design, B.I.D.
- Integrated Studio Arts, B.F.A.
- Interior Design, B.F.A.
- Landscape Architecture, B.L.A.
- Biological and Pre-Medical Illustration, B.A.
The following courses are University requirements that must be met. Completion of the AA degree does not exempt students from these requirements.
I. English Proficiency (minimum grade of C- to C+, depending on major)
II. U.S. Diversity and International Perspectives Requirements (3 cr. in each area)
Courses can be dual-assigned in General Education areas.
Hawkeye Courses—U.S. Diversity (3 cr.)
- ART-101 Art Appreciation
- COM-148 Diversity & the Media
- LIT-133 Minority Voices in U.S. Lit.
- LIT-189 Women and Literature
- PSY-261 / SOC-261 Human Sexuality
- PSY-262 Psychology of Gender
- SOC-205 Diversity in America
- SOC-200 Minority Group Relations
- SOC-220 Sociology of Aging
- SOC-235 Social Problems
- WST-101 Women’s Studies
Hawkeye Courses—Int'l Persp. (3 cr.)
- ANT-105 Cultural Anthropology
- CLS-130 African Cultures
- CLS-141 Middle Eastern Hist. & Culture
- CLS-160 East Asian Cultures
- CLS-164 Japanese Cultures
- CLS-172 Russian Culture
- FLF-245 French II
- FLS-152 Elementary Spanish II
- HIS-214 Russian History & Culture
- HUM-130 Holocaust Perspectives
- LIT-142 Major British Writers
- MUS-100 Music Appreciation
- POL-121 International Relations
- SOC-208 Intro to Cultural Anthropology
- SPC-120 Intercultural Communications
- POL-125 Comparative Gov. & Politics
- REL-101 Survey of World Religions
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.00 on all college-level courses. However, some majors may require a GPA higher than 2.00.
- Must complete 24 transferable credits prior to enrolling OR meet all admission requirements of incoming freshmen.
Design College Requirements
Core Design Program
All new entering students in the College of Design enroll in the Core Design Program, with the exception of those students pursuing Biological/Pre-Medical Illustration. All other students must complete the following first-year foundation courses. Students intending to pursue an enrollment managed program must then apply to their program of interest in May.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is needed, as well as passing all core courses for consideration in the College of Design. Please visit the ISU website for program specific admission criteria.
- Students who intend to apply to the Architecture program are advised to take MATH 142 (MAT-134) and PHYS 111 (PHY-162) as part of the Core.
- Students who intend to apply to the Industrial Design program are advised to take PHYS 111 (PHY-162) as part of the Core.
- Students who intend to apply to the Community & Regional Planning program are advised to take MATH 140 (MAT-122), MATH 142 (MAT-134), or MATH 150 (BUS-230) and (BIO-105) as part of the Core.
- Students who intend to apply to the Landscape Architecture program are advised to take MATH 142 (MAT-134) or MATH 165 (MAT-210) as part of the Core.
Before graduation from ISU, students will need additional credits in the following, selected from lists:
- 3cr. Humanities
- 3 cr. Social Sciences
- 6 cr. General Education Electives of course level 300–400
General Education Requirements
Humanities (6 cr.)
Social Science (3 cr.)
Natural Science (6 cr.)
Mathematics (3 cr.)
Major Specific Courses and Requirements
This tip sheet is meant for students completing the AA prior to transferring to Iowa State. For students planning on transferring prior to completing the AA, please refer to the appropriate tip sheet and work closely with your advisors at both Hawkeye and ISU in selecting courses.
Consult closely with a Hawkeye advisor and ISU to ensure that you are completing the necessary course requirements for transfer.
These requirements are subject to change without notice.
* Both courses in the series must be taken at Hawkeye to transfer as the listed courses.
! Meets major requirement for STAT 101; will need additional 1 cr. of electives.
Art and Design, B.A.
Community & Regional Planning, B.S.CRP
Graphic Design, B.F.A.
Industrial Design, B.I.D.
Integrated Studio Arts, B.F.A.
Interior Design, B.F.A.
* Students should take either BUS-230 or MAT-140, plus another 3 credits of math.
Biological and Pre-Medical Illustration, B.A.