Iowa State University College of Business
Students seeking degrees from the College of Business at Iowa State University may select from the following majors:
- Business Economics
- International Business
- Management Information Systems
- Supply Chain Management
- Must complete 24 transferable credits (does not include career technical, developmental, or military credits) and have a minimum 2.25 transfer GPA prior to enrolling OR meet all admission requirements of incoming freshmen.
- Students transferring with an Associate of Arts degree to ISU must have a minimum transfer GPA of 2.00 for admission to the University. Admission to the College of Business requires a 2.5 GPA in business foundation courses.
The following courses are University requirements that must be met. Completion of the AA degree does not exempt Business students from these requirements.
I. English Proficiency (minimum grade of C depending on major)
II. U.S. Diversity and International Perspectives Requirements (3 cr. in each area)
Courses can be dual-assigned in General Education areas.
Hawkeye Courses—U.S. Diversity (3 cr.)
- COM-148 Diversity & the Media
- EDU-235 Children's Literature
- LIT-133 Minority Voices in U.S. Lit.
- LIT-189 Women and Literature
- PSY-261 / SOC-261 Human Sexuality
- PSY-262 Psychology of Gender
- SOC-115 Social Problems
- SOC-205 Diversity in America
- SOC-200 Minority Group Relations
- SOC-220 Sociology of Aging
- WST-101 Women’s Studies
Hawkeye Courses—Int'l Persp. (3 cr.)
- ANT-105 Cultural Anthropology
- ART-203 Art History I
- ART-204 Art History II
- CLS-130 African Cultures
- CLS-141 Middle Eastern Hist. & Culture
- CLS-160 East Asian Cultures
- CLS-164 Japanese Cultures
- CLS-172 Russian Culture
- FLF-245 French II
- FLS-152 Elementary Spanish II
- HUM-130 Holocaust Perspectives
- LIT-142 Major British Writers
- MUS-100 Music Appreciation
- POL-121 International Relations
- SOC-208 Intro to Cultural Anthropology
- SPC-120 Intercultural Communications
III. Global Perspectives (3 cr.)
Select an additional 3cr. from the Int’l Perspectives list. Courses used for the Global Perspective requirement cannot be used to meet any General Education requirement other than International Perspective.
Business College Requirements
Pre-Business Foundation Courses
Completion of 30 credits and a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the foundation courses is needed for admittance into the Business major at Iowa State University. Pre-business students do not have access to business core classes, with the exception of ACCT 285 Managerial Accounting. Qualified students may be conditionally admitted during the semester in which they complete the admission requirements. BUS 230 Quantitative Methods for Business Decision-Making (which has a prerequisite of MAT-156) is recommended before transferring.
All new entering students in the College of Business are enrolled in the Pre-Business curriculum. To enter a major in the College of Business, students must complete the following foundation courses:
- Students wishing to pursue a degree in Business Economics will need to take ISU’s MATH 160 and ECON 207 in lieu of MATH 150 and 151.
- Hawkeye’s MAT-210 AND MAT-216 will substitute for ISU’s MATH 150 and 151.
* Students wishing to pursue a degree in Business Economics will need to take ISU's MATH 160 and ECON 207 in lieu of Hawkeye's BUS-230 Quant Methods and MAT-210 Calculus.
College General Education Requirements
The following categories are required for students who do not complete the Associate of Arts degree. They can be completed before or after transferring to ISU.
Humanities and Social Sciences: 9 credits
Natural Science: 3 credits
Consult closely with a Hawkeye advisor and ISU to ensure that you are completing the necessary course requirements for transfer.
These requirements are subject to change without notice.