Allen College—UnityPoint Health Course Equivalency Guide: Medical Laboratory Science 3+1
Students interested in the Medical Laboratory Science 3+1 program at Allen College—UnityPoint Health should take each of the following courses.
- ENG-105 Composition I
- ENG-106 Composition II
- SPC-101 Fundamentals of Oral Communication
Humanities electives (6 hours) *
Humanities elective is defined by Allen College—UnityPoint as Art, Music, Theater, Dance, English, Foreign Language, Philosophy, History, Cultures, Civilization, Literature, Religion, Economics, and Communication Arts electives.
- SOC-110 Intro to Sociology
- PSY-111 Intro to Psychology
Social Science elective *
Social Science elective is defined by Allen College—UnityPoint as Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Anthropology, and Criminology electives.
Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- BIO-168 Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab
- CHM-122 Intro to General Chemistry
- CHM-132 Intro to Organic and Biochemistry
- CHM-165 General Chemistry I
- BIO-186 Microbiology
- BIO-112 General Biology I w/lab
- BIO-113 General Biology II w/lab
- MAT-156 Statistics
- Diversity elective * (any course exploring another culture; for example, courses with the corresponding prefix CLS or SOC-205)
- Elective courses in any field (30 credits) *
* Please contact Student Services with course numbers to ensure transferability.
Students will also need to complete the following courses not offered at Hawkeye:
- Organic Chemistry with lab (3–4 credits)
- Biochemistry or an additional semester of Organic Chemistry (3–4 credits)
A 2.7 GPA is required for admission into the Medical Laboratory Science program.
Meeting admission criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
All nursing students will be subject to a background check prior to admission and licensure.