Allen College—UnityPoint Health Course Equivalency Guide: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Printable Tip Sheet [pdf]
Students interested in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at Allen College—UnityPoint Health should take the each of the following courses.
- ENG-105 Composition I
- ENG-106 Composition II *
- SPC-101 Fundamentals of Oral Communication *
- Humanities electives *** (3–6 credits)
Humanities elective is defined by Allen College as Art, Music, Theater, Dance, English, Foreign Language, Philosophy, History, Cultures, Civilization, Literature, Religion, Economics, and Communication Arts electives.
- SOC-110 Intro to Sociology *
- PSY-111 Intro to Psychology *
- PSY-121 Developmental Psychology * **
- Social Science electives *** (3–6 credits)
Social Science elective is defined by Allen College as Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Anthropology, and Criminology electives.
- BIO-168 Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab * ** -AND-
BIO-173 Human A & P II w/lab * ** (must be taken at the same institution as A&P I)
- CHM-122 Intro to General Chemistry with lab * **
- BIO-186 Microbiology * **
- BIO-151 Nutrition **
- MAT-156 Statistics * **
- Diversity elective *** (any course exploring another culture; for example, courses with the corresponding prefix CLS)
- PNN-100 Fundamentals of Nursing
- General Electives Completion of Certified Nursing *** (6–15 credits)
* Designated course which cumulative GPA must equal 2.90 on a 4.00 scale for traditional BSN program students and 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for all accelerated program students. Students must earn a “C” or above in each class.
**Applicants with a baccalaureate degree must complete only these general education courses.
*** Please contact Student Services with course numbers to ensure transferability.
A 2.7 GPA is required for admission into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
Meeting admission criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
All nursing students will be subject to a background check prior to admission and licensure.
Traditional Option: Begins in fall and spring.
- Fall: February 1 and June 1 of the start term year.
- Spring: June 1 and August 1 of the year prior.
Accelerated Option: Begins in summer and fall.
- Fall: August 1 and December 1 of the year prior.
- Summer: June 1 and August 1 of the year prior.
RN-BSN: Begins in fall and spring.
- Fall: February 1.
- Spring: June 1.