Academic Probation and Suspension
Academic probation and suspension guidelines have been established according to Hawkeye's policy.
You are responsible for monitoring your own progress.
Academic probation and suspension may impact your financial aid. Please consult the Financial Aid office if you have questions.
You will be placed on academic probation for one semester if:
- Your current semester GPA is below 2.00.
- Your cumulative GPA is below 2.00.
- You transferred to Hawkeye from another college and your cumulative GPA from coursework you transferred to Hawkeye is below 2.00.
During the semester you are on academic probation you must meet with your academic advisor to discuss your progress.
After the semester if your:
- Term GPA and your cumulative GPA is above 2.00, you will be removed from academic probation.
- Cumulative GPA is below 2.00, but your term GPA is above 2.00, you will remain on academic probation.
- Term GPA is below 2.00, but your cumulative GPA is above a 2.00, you will remain on academic probation.
- Cumulative GPA and term GPA are below 2.00, you will be placed on academic suspension.
If you were placed on Academic Suspension and would like to continue taking courses during the next semester, you must appeal your suspension. For example, if you were placed on Academic Suspension during spring semester and would like to continue to take courses the following summer or fall semester you need to appeal your suspension.
If you skip a semester after you were suspended before you try to appeal your suspension, you will have to follow the Academic Suspension Readmission process.
Academic Suspension Appeal
Before you can register for classes for the next semester, you must complete and submit an Academic Suspension Appeal Form. Refer to your Notice of Academic Suspension email for due date.
Your appeal will be reviewed by the Suspension Committee.
If your appeal is granted:
- You will remain on suspension.
- We may recommend that you take a reduced course load.
- You will be required to meet with an Academic Advisor.
If you successfully appeal your suspension, return to Hawkeye, and are academically suspended the next semester, you must sit out for no less than one semester before being allowed to return to Hawkeye.
You will be academically suspended from Hawkeye for a minimum of one semester if:
- You do not complete an appeal.
- Your appeal has not been granted.
If you do not complete an appeal, you will be withdrawn from Hawkeye.
Academic Suspension Readmission
If you skip a semester after you were suspended, you will have to apply for readmission.
To apply for readmission complete an Academic Suspension Readmission Request [pdf] and meet with your academic dean before the start of the semester.
As part of the process explained on the Academic Suspension Readmission Request form, you will meet with your academic dean to discuss your academic suspension. Read the directions on the form, complete it, and then call the phone number listed on the form. The secretary will make an appointment for you with the appropriate academic dean.
You must demonstrate to your academic dean how the problems leading to your academic suspension have been resolved or remedied.
Hawkeye may elect not to readmit a student who has previously demonstrated poor academic progress.
If you are granted readmission we may recommend that you take a reduced course load.
Student Handbook Next Page >