Transferring Credits to Hawkeye

See how your courses may Transfer to Hawkeye with Transferology

Transferology is an online tool that makes exploring college transfer easy. Want to see how the college courses you've already taken will transfer to Hawkeye? Need to earn extra credits to transfer back to Hawkeye? Let Transferology do the heavy lifting.

Getting started is easy! Simply login or create a FREE account with Transferology.

Hawkeye requires a grade of C- or higher to transfer the course credit to Hawkeye. When entering classes to see if they will transfer to Hawkeye, enter only courses you have earned a C- grade or higher.

This is an unofficial evaluation of transfer credit. For an official transfer credit evaluation, you must send official transcripts to Hawkeye's Admissions office. See Evaluation and Acceptance of Transfer Credits for more information.

Accepted Transfer Credits

Credits from Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Courses at a regionally accredited college or university will be accepted as transfer credits if Hawkeye determines the course is transferable or technical.

Courses considered to be developmental or remedial are non-transferable. Experiential credits are non-transferable.

Credits by Examination

Credit is granted for the following exams:

Students must submit official transcript(s) directly to Hawkeye's Admissions office to receive credit.

To determine if credits by examination have been applied to your record: Periodically visit Self-Service > Academics > Test Summary > Other Tests. Test(s) that do not meet the minimum score are not entered and will not show on the test summary page.

To see how the credits by examination apply to your degree(s)/major(s): Visit Self Service > Student Planning > My Progress > View Your My Progress in Self Service. In the Status column directly under the course requirement(s) you will see "Noncourse Equivalency" if the course requirement is completed by credit by examination.

Credits from Colleges and Universities with Candidate Status for Accreditation

Courses at a college or university, that are candidate status for accreditation by a regional association, will be accepted as transfer credits in a similar manner as credits from a regionally accredited college or university. Credits must be applicable to your major/degree.

Credits from Non-Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Hawkeye will not accept credits from a college or university that is not regionally accredited.

Credits from Foreign Colleges and Universities

Students with Military Experience

Military transcripts will be evaluated for transfer based on the recommendations made by the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.

Military transcripts will be received electronically by our Admissions office.

Credit may be granted for the following based on the American Council on Education’s Guide:

  • Vocational certificate for technical degrees only
  • Lower-division baccalaureate degree
  • Upper-division baccalaureate degree

For students in a technical degree, your transcripts may be routed to appropriate staff if military coursework is potentially applicable to the major/degree.

For students in a transfer degree, a maximum of 21 elective credits may be awarded based on the ACE recommendations.

Community College of the Air Force: Up to 16 career-technical credits will be granted.

See Request Official Military Transcripts

Credits from a Previous Associate's or Bachelor's Degree

Hawkeye will evaluate your credits based on the major/degree you choose. Hawkeye will only transfer courses needed for that major/degree if the transfer course meets the minimum grade requirement.

Applying Credits to a Technical Degree at Hawkeye

If it is determined that the course(s) taken are similar in course content to a required course in one of Hawkeye's technical degrees, a copy of your transcript will be submitted to the respective Hawkeye academic department for evaluation. It is the department’s discretion to accept or not accept the credit for the major/degree.

Send Official Transcript(s) to Admissions

To have your previously earned college credits evaluated for transfer credit at Hawkeye we need an official transcript from each college or institution you previously attended sent directly to the Admissions office.

Hawkeye Community College
1501 East Orange Road
P.O. Box 8015
Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015

Transcripts are considered official only when sent from institute to institute or from an approved, secure third-party agency, such as National Student Clearinghouse. Hand delivered transcripts, even in a sealed envelope, will be considered unofficial.

Hawkeye will not accept unofficial transcripts for transfer credit evaluation. Unofficial transcripts or other academic records will only be used to prove a prerequisite has been completed to register for a sequential course.

Official transcripts received since 2008 should already be on file with the College. Contact the Admissions office if you have questions about previously submitted transcripts and assessment scores.

Evaluation and Acceptance of Transfer Credits

Step 1: Transcript Evaluation

The length of time to prepare a transfer evaluation varies. If your transfer credits are from a college located in another state or if your credits are not recent, it may take longer to evaluate your transcript.

Please allow up to four weeks from the time the official transcript arrives at Hawkeye's Admissions office for evaluation.

Foreign diplomas and transcripts will be evaluated by the International Student Services coordinator.

Step 2: Review Your Transfer Summary

You are encouraged to periodically check Self-Service > Academics > Transfer Summary to determine if transfer credits have been applied to your record.

The Transfer Summary:

  • Provides information about each external course and the corresponding equivalent courses assigned.
  • Provides transfer credit totals for both the equivalent courses and the transfer courses.
  • Is viewable by both the student and advisors to see the list of previous universities.

From the Transfer Summary you can expand a particular university link to view the following details:

  • Transfer Course/Title: Courses transferred from the previous university.
  • Credits: Transfer credits from the previous university.
  • Grade: Grade acquired for the course in the previous university.
  • Completion Date: Generic course completion date that correlates with the semester in the previous university.
  • Equivalent Course/Subject/Course Level: Equivalent course/subject/course level at Hawkeye.
  • Credits: Equivalent transfer credits at Hawkeye.
  • Grade/Dept: NA
  • Academic Level: Academic level of the course at Hawkeye.
  • Restrict to Academic Programs: NA

To see if a major/degree requirement has been fulfilled by a transfer course: Self-Service > Student Planning > My Progress > View Your My Progress in Self Service. The course requirement status will be marked with Transfer Equivalency and the equivalent course/title/credits. Transfer courses that were transferred but do not apply towards the major/degree will be listed under Other Courses, located at the end of My Progress. If you have questions about how your transfer courses apply to your degree, please visit with your advisor.

Transfer credit is accepted for courses with a grade of C- or higher. Transfer credit awarded between Fall 2011 and Spring 2022 was required to be a grade of C or higher. Contact your advisor if you had courses from another college with a C- grade that were evaluated during this timeframe.

Your GPA at Hawkeye only includes grades earned at Hawkeye. Hawkeye does not calculate transfer grade points into the Hawkeye GPA, but the grade associated with the transfer course must meet the minimum grade requirement.

Required Credits To Earn a Degree from Hawkeye

Career and technical programs: Students enrolled in a career and technical program must earn at least 25% of their required credits at Hawkeye Community College to earn a degree from Hawkeye. Career and technical program awards include:

  • Associate of Applied Arts
  • Associate of Applied Science
  • Diploma
  • Certificate

Transfer majors: Students enrolled in a Liberal Arts transfer degree must earn at least 30 credits hours or 16 of their last 22 credit hours at Hawkeye Community College to earn a degree from Hawkeye. Liberal Arts transfer degrees include:

  • Associate of Arts
  • Associate of Science

Hawkeye will accept up to 16 credit hours of Applied Science and Technology credits as elective credit.

Determining Transfer Credit

Hawkeye endorses the Joint Statement on Transfer and Award of Academic Credit approved by the American Council on Education (ACE), the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

Hawkeye uses various publications in determining transfer credit including, but not limited to:

  • Current issue of Transfer Credit Practices of Selected Education Institutions, published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
  • Publications of the American Council on Education
  • College Source

The acceptance and use of transfer credit is subject to limitations in accordance with educational policies at Hawkeye.

Student Handbook Next Page >

Transferology makes exploring college transfer easy

Contact Information

Records and Registration

Hawkeye Center 134
Email Records and Registration

319-296-1609 (fax)

Regular Hours — Spring 2023

Mon–Friday 8:00am–4:30pm


Hawkeye Center 114
319-209-9239 (text)
319-296-1651 (fax)
Email Admissions

Regular Hours — Spring 2023

Mon–Friday 8:00am–4:30pm

Admissions Mailing Address

Hawkeye Community College
1501 East Orange Road
P.O. Box 8015
Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015

Back to top