The Welding Academy gives you the chance to explore a career in the welding field while earning college credit before you graduate from high school!
This academy begins to prepare you for entry into the industry as beginning production, maintenance, or job shop welders. You are trained using the latest techniques in the fabrication of materials by welding processes.
Welding is one of the most high-demanded skills in the Cedar Valley area as Iowa has a large number of manufacturers. Many graduates of Hawkeye’s Welding program earn starting wages of $13–17 per hour depending on their skill level.
Your career opportunities may include, but are not limited to:
- Your school district pays for your courses and provides the textbooks.
- You are responsible for transportation costs to the course location.
- You are responsible for any field trips and activities out of the classroom.
Who can participate?
- Any 9th–12th grade student who meets the requirements.
- Students who are able to travel to the course locations.
What can you do after you graduate from high school?
If you complete the Welding Academy, you will receive up to 11 credits (approximately a $1,600 value) toward your college degree!
You can continue your education at Hawkeye in programs such as the Welding program.
Where are the courses located?
Welding Academy courses are located at Hawkeye's on Hawkeye’s Main Campus and the Independence Center.
Course locations may vary; contact your guidance counselor for availability.
Welding Academy Courses