Diversity and Inclusion Council
The mission of the Hawkeye Community College Diversity and Inclusion Council is to help establish and sustain a set of policies, programs, practices and resources necessary to:
- Promote a campus atmosphere which visibly reflects, encourages, and values a diverse and multicultural educational environment.
- Expand individuals' appreciation of the benefits of a multicultural perspective.
- Achieve multicultural effectiveness in teaching and learning.
- Develop and sustain an increasingly diverse and inclusive college community of lifelong learning in order to effectively participate in a global society.
Our vision is an inclusive community of diverse individuals who value each other's experiences, understandings, and interpretations of the world. Valuing diversity involves deepening our understanding of how patterns of socialization, affiliation, and opportunity shape our identity and influence our perceptions. In this way, Hawkeye Community College students will be educated for, and can be effective in a global society.
2020–2021 Diversity and Inclusion Council Members
- Abby Martin, Admissions Rep for Diverse Populations
- Ashley Gracia, Instructor, Adult Learning Center
- Carol Luvert, Professor, Communications
- Chatara Mabry, Assistant Professor of Sociology/Social Work and Diversity and Inclusion Faculty Fellow
- Constance Grimm, Director, Grants and Resource Development
- Hillary Anniss, Associate Director, Public Relations and Marketing
- LaCreeci Moss, Advisor, TRiO
- Lisa Munoz, Associate Professor, Social Sciences
- Marissa Thornton, Transition Specialist, Adult Learning Center
- Megan Blackford, Library Technician, Library
- Melissa Klein, International Student Services and Study Abroad Coordinator
- Nadine Torsrud, Financial Aid Analyst, Financial Aid Office
- Natasha Ceaser, Academic/College Success Advisor
- Paresh Shettigar, Professor, Engineering Tech
- Patrick Malloy, Associate Professor, Humanities
- Teresa Culpepper, Instructor, Nursing/Health Sciences
- Youssef Mekawy, Assistant Coordinator, Career Services Center
- Lynn LaGrone, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Dione Somerville, Executive Vice President