Work-Study Handbook

Work-Study Employment Forms and Documents

All new work-study students, and students that worked for the work-study program in the past but have been out of the program for a year or more, will need to set up an appointment with the Financial Aid office  to complete the following forms:

  • I-9 form
  • Federal and State W-4 form
  • Direct Deposit form
  • Student Approval form
  • Application for Employment
  • Emergency Contact Sheet

Please bring the following items with you to this meeting:

  • a voided check or savings deposit slip for the account you would like your work-study earnings to be deposited into
  • your completed and signed Job Description form from your supervisor when you were hired
  • your drivers license or picture ID*
  • your Social Security Card

If your drivers license and/or Social Security Card are not available you will need to present one document from List A below OR one document each from both lists B and C per federal regulations.

* We cannot accept Military IDs for this purpose as it is against Federal Law to make photocopies of these documents.

List A – Documents that Establish Identity and Employment Eligibility

  • U.S Passport (unexpired/expired)
  • INS Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card with Photograph (INS Form I151 or I551)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A)
  • Unexpired Reentry Permit (INS Form I-327)
  • Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (INS Form I-571)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS which contains a photograph (INS Form-688B)

List B – Documents that Establish Identity

  • Driver’s License or ID Card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • ID Card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter’s registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s License issued by a Canadian government authority

List C – Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

  • U.S. Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, outlying possession of the US bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)
  • ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the INS (other than those listed under List A)


Work-Study Handbook | Next Page >

Financial Aid

Hawkeye Center 118
800-670-4769 ext.4020
319-296-4495 (fax)
Email us
Send a chat message

Text 66746 and start your question with hawkeyeaid
More info on this service

Regular Hours

Mon-Fri 8:00am–4:30pm