Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP)

Financial Aid Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

Hawkeye's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for financial aid apply to all students who want to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility for federal, state, and institutional programs. These include but are not limited to: Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal / State Work-Study, Iowa Grant, Vocational-Technology Grant, Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), and Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students.

These standards apply to your entire academic transcript, including terms for which financial aid was not applied or disbursed.

These are minimum standards that must be attained. Specific aid programs or department standards may require more than these minimum standards.

Hawkeye reserves the right to place a student on financial aid probation or suspension who exhibits abuse of receipt of financial aid at any time or who receives a 0.00 GPA in any semester at Hawkeye.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is monitored after each term.

Students placed on Financial Aid Suspension will have all aid cancelled until an appeal is approved by the Financial Aid Suspension Review Committee.

Pursuant to federal regulations, students denied financial aid due to unsatisfactory progress may appeal for reconsideration of financial aid eligibility.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards is a different policy than the Academic Standards for Satisfactory Progress. You will follow a different procedure when suspended academically and will need to contact Academic Affairs with questions. Academic suspension means you cannot attend nor receive financial aid at Hawkeye.

You may be suspended from financial aid but not from Hawkeye, so please always check with both the Financial Aid office and the Academic Affairs office.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Financial Aid

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, requires students to maintain satisfactory progress toward their degree in order to receive financial aid.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress is a Three-Part Federal Regulation with minimum standards that must be attained.

Specific aid programs or department standards may require more than these minimum standards.

Students must adhere to these standards, whether or not financial aid was received for those attempted credits.

Standard 1: Successfully complete a minimum number of enrolled credit/hours each term.

You are required to earn, with passing grades, at least 2/3 (67%) of the credit hours of which you have cumulatively attempted.

Standard 2: Complete a degree within a specific time period.

Complete your program within 150% of the published length of the program measured in credit hours attempted.

Courses taken for, but not limited to audit, credits earned via Institutional Proficiency Exams, Correspondence, Independent Study, and College Level Examination Programs will be included in the measurement of time period allowed for the pursuit of a degree. However, these courses are not eligible for financial aid and do not count toward reinstatement of aid after suspension.

Standard 3: Maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) consistent with graduation.

Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 at all times as defined by the Academic Standards for Satisfactory Progress. This is monitored by the Academic Affairs office and those that do not meet this standard will be suspended from the college. You will also lose your financial aid eligibility.


Only grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and D- are counted as meeting the required credit/hours.

The following do not count as completed credit/hours and may affect Satisfactory Academic Progress:

  • failed classes
  • audited classes
  • withdrawn classes
  • incomplete grades
  • no credit/no pass
  • grade requital

If your incomplete grade is what made you be on warning or suspension, you must submit the final grade to the Financial Aid office for review.

Hawkeye will count all credits towards your Satisfactory Academic Progress but only accept the highest grade obtained.

Courses accomplished by CLEP examinations will be counted as completed credit/hours.

Transfer Students

Hawkeye assumes transfer students enrolled at Hawkeye are making satisfactory academic progress. However, Hawkeye reserves the right to request transcripts of previous institutions attended at any time to determine prior completion rate.

You will be held responsible only for academic progress made at Hawkeye. Hawkeye will start monitoring your academic progress according to the Hawkeye Financial Aid Standards for Satisfactory Progress guidelines.

For Satisfactory Academic Progress purposes, a transfer student is somebody that has never been enrolled at Hawkeye before. A student that was at Hawkeye and then went somewhere else (whether a degree was obtained somewhere else or not) would not meet this definition; however, all credits transferred to Hawkeye are included in attempted and completed credits for Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation purposes.

Financial Aid Handbook | Next Page >

Financial Aid

Hawkeye Center 118
800-670-4769 ext.4020
319-296-4495 (fax)
Email us
Send a chat message

Text 66746 and start your question with hawkeyeaid
More info on this service

Regular Hours

Mon-Fri 8:00am–4:30pm