Acceptable English Language Proof for Admission
You must provide one of the following forms of English language assessment for admission to Hawkeye Community College.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- minimum score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL (61-iBT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- minimum overall band score (academic track) of 6.0
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
- Advanced Placement International English Language (APIEL)
- General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-level)
- pass in English with a grade of A, B, or C from one of the five British-based examining boards
- ACT Assessment
- English test minimum score of 19
- SAT I Verbal
- SAT II English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- grade of 4, 5, 6, or 7 in English A1 or A2 at the Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL)
Complete Level 7 of the University of Northern Iowa’s Culture and Intensive English Program (CIEP) with recommendation from the Director of CIEP.
Complete one semester of college level English composition from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university with a minimum grade of C.
Complete one semester of college level English composition course (face-to-face) and a college level reading course (face-to-face) from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university with a minimum grade of C.
These requirements will be waived only after Hawkeye Community College has received and evaluated an official transcript from the issuing institution.
International Student Services
Hawkeye Center 208
+1 319-296-2329, ext.1590
Hawkeye Community College
International Student Admissions
1501 East Orange Road
P.O. Box 8015
Waterloo, IA 50704-8015
See Mailing Options