High school students may enroll independently in college-level courses as a tuition-paying student. These courses are considered Dual Enrollment courses at Hawkeye.
Dual Enrollment courses are open to 11th and 12th grade students who have not met high school graduation requirements and 9th and 10th grade students identified as talented and gifted through their local district. Students who receive private instruction are eligible to take college courses. You must meet Hawkeye’s course requirements for any course requiring prerequisites or placement scores.
Number of Classes
You may enroll in classes at Hawkeye and become a part-time student. This means you may take eleven credit hours or less, or up to three classes. Courses must be taken for college credit and you must meet the course requirements.
You will earn college credit for the courses taken. After successful completion of a class, it will be recorded on your Hawkeye transcripts. If you are attending a college other than Hawkeye after graduation, contact that college to be sure your Hawkeye courses will transfer.
You or your family will be responsible for all costs. You are also responsible for providing transportation to and from Hawkeye.
How to Enroll in Dual Enrollment Courses
These steps must be completed by May 30 for the Fall Semester and/or November 30 for the Spring Semester. Registrations submitted after that date will be approved on an individual basis.
- Schedule required high school courses.
- Meet with your high school guidance counselor to select classes.
- Complete the dual enrollment form [pdf].
- Have your guidance counselor and parent/guardian sign the form.
Have your high school send your transcripts and your ACT scores. If you have not taken the ACT you may take the COMPASS assessment at Hawkeye. You must meet Hawkeye's admission and course requirements as shown below.
- Attend a CollegeNow! registration session. On the day of the session bring:
- Access your MyHawkeye account to view your course schedule and Hawkeye student email. You will receive an email confirming your course registration and other important information.
Hawkeye Community College
1501 East Orange Road
P.O. Box 8015
Waterloo, Iowa 50704-8015